Cal did two sessions of swimming lessons and learned how to blow bubbles under water, float on his back, and tummy, learned how to stroke his arms, and kick his feet. I was a little worried about how he would do because he isn't such a water boy, but he ended up really loving it. We took him to the pool the other day and he had lost a little bit of it. I think this swimming thing may be two steps forward, one step back.
After lessons we had multiple activites that kept us busy. Denver has so many fun and FREE summer programs for kids.
We did morning movies at the theater. Edy was a little champ and would sit through most of the movies without a problem. We did make a tragic mistake of going to Igor, has anyone seen that? - such a twisted idea for a kid show. I really hope Cal was too absorbed in his popcorn to remember it.
We took advantage of the free games of bowling at least once a week, and if Cal had it his way much more often. One day he was drinking some rootbeer and stopped to listen to it fizzing in his cup and said, "Mom, my rootbeer is telling me a secret, it's saying - Go Bowling!"
We also spent time at Elitch Gardens of course, we usually headed there once a week. This year we discovered that Cal was tall enough to go on the big family rides, not the thrill ones but the semi-scary ones. He loved them. And would lift his arms on all them, while I would have a death grip hold on him. He still seems too small to me and it just seems like his little body could slip through the bars so easily.
We had lots of visitors come and go. Both of Jon's brothers - Jake and Mike - came at different times. Our good friends the MaWhinney's came and spent a few days and we had tons of fun with them. We always love having people in town.

Cal wishes Uncle Mike would move in.

Anna giving love to Edyn.
I had a great Birthday! Jonny made it last the entire weekend, and for those of you who know me, know that I heart birthdays - so it was perfect. He made me a delicious dinner of fresh garden produce and grilled fish. I got so many fun gifts and calls from family and friends. We played games well into the night, and watched girly movies. And then post-birthday we dropped off the kiddies at Kristin and Shane's house and went on a really fun hike and got sushi. It was a wonderful birthday weekend!
Three super delish birthday cakes

Ooooo, he makes me happy
We made two more trips to Idaho. It is always so great to spend time with our families. One of the main highlights was Jon's Grandma's 90th birthday. Her children did such a good job of planning a fun event that included 90 Pepsis for the faithful soda drinker. 90 balloons sailing into the Idaho sky. 90 Roman Candles shooting off. Lots of visitors and family and friends. And the biggest cake I have ever seen!

The three Floras

The Pepsi Pyramid

I also was able to have a little get together with my old highschool/college friends. We hadn't all been together since those treasured college days - it was soooooo fun to be together again and laugh like crazy just like old times.

Calvin has started preschool again, and couldn't be more excited about it. He has a fun teacher who is really in to kung fu and yoga and implements it into his program. I am excited to see how Cal takes to it. Edy and I have fun girl time while he is away, but we both are always excited to go and pick up the boy.

Cal headed off to school, wishing he could take his ball and glove.
A few other events of the summer include a handful of sewing projects, some minor plastic surgery for Jonny, lots of Rockies games, trips to the zoo, some hiking, dinners up the the canyon, bike rides, and hanging out with good friends.What happy summer...sigh
No comments:
Post a Comment