12 January 2009

Afternoon At the Drive-In!

Saturday we celebrated Calvin's birthday with a few of his friends. After his sledding party had to be canceled for the lack of snow I quickly put together this idea and it ended up working really well. It just may be the standard 3-year-old party at my house for all of my kids.

When the kids arrived, they picked an applebox and worked on decorating their car with a variety of embellishments - flames, flowers, personalized license plates, foam animals, markers, stickers, and a huge variety of dicuts.






After they were finished making their box cars they pulled them into our homemade Drive-In that we created with Jonny's projector from work and a big empty white wall. We served popcorn, big soft preztels, Raisinettes, fruit, and M&M's. They watched an episode of Bernstain Bears, and the short Mater episode on the Cars DVD.




For birthday cake, I made these adorable popcorn cupcakes that I saw on Mandi's blog. (Thanks so much for the idea, Mandi:)).



It ended up being super fun to plan, and I think all the kids had a good time. Calvin is still in love with his car and doesn't want to watch TV without sitting in it.

13 comments:

Anna said...

You are SO creative and CUTE! What a darling birthday party idea. Love it. Lucky Cal :)

Trish&Heath said...

Arrhh!! Where's my shout out? You stole my ideas and made them better!! That seems like such a fun party! Well, I'll just take your better ideas and copy them for playgroup at my house...

Lindsay said...

Sorry Trish...yes we did watch a movie at Trish's house on her projector. It was fun! Thanks again for that little get together.

Mandagirl said...

Stink'n cute!! Hurray for you. XOXO

Cronin Family said...

What a fun party, Carson still sits in his car whenever a movie is on! I might have to still this idea some day...

Jen and Mark said...

Super cute cars! Looks like such a fun party! And the cupcakes... so creative. Wish we could have been there! Happy Birthday to cute Cal

Tim said...

I think I might have to steal that idea for Eva's b-day. She would LOVE it. It looks like a ton of fun.
love ya, alexis

Zappe Family said...

How cute is that! Wow. That's so fun and creative. You're such a great Mom!

Beth said...

Super, super cute, Lindsay! (And Trish, it looks like!) That's a party everybody's gonna remember for a LONG time.

Liz said...

What a cute idea!!! I am realizing that I am not very creative when it come to my kids Birthday's. A very cool bday for a very cool kid.

Abs said...

I always knew you were talented, but I'm super impressed with how you used your creative talents. I would never have guessed that your popcorn cups were cup cakes. I'm going to have to keep that idea in my head. I hope that you had fun in Idaho seeing everyone. Last of all Cal seems like the cutest boy!

Trish&Heath said...

no -silly, well, the projector too, but I was talking about the cardboard boxes at the birthday party. I just got a whole bunch of boxes and tossed markers at the kids and told them to go at it. You had all sorts of cool decorations and ideas and a point to making them - sitting in them to watch a movie. My idea, only 10x's better. That's what I meant.

Lindsay said...

Oh, I guess I don't remember talking about that. Was I there? Was that for Rhett's party? Well, ignore my pregnant, baby brain. I seriously have no recollection.